Books & Words
- 1st place--Mystic Sparrow sculptural book by Robert S. Hunter of Colonial Beach, VA
- 2nd place--Brave New World altered book by Robert S. Hunter of Colonial Beach, VA
- 3rd place--Book Painting mixed media by Charles Riley of Fredericksburg, VA
- Break Out mixed media by Carolyn Beever of Stafford, VA
- Art Words mixed media/collage by Kathleen Willingham of Bealeton, VA
- Books that Rocked My World mixed media/fabric book by Margaret Moon of Culpeper, VA
- Graffiti Train oil pastel by Guerin Wolf of Fredericksburg, VA
What is an Artist's Book or rather, Book Arts? A succinct definition is elusive. This form of artistic expression is constantly being reinvented and the results continually excite and surprise the viewer.
Several months ago I was flattered to be offered the opportunity to jury the "Books and Words" show here at the Fredericksburg Center for the Creative Arts. Upon arriving last Tuesday I found a large variety of artists' books and paintings. The addition of "Words" to the title of this show allowed artists to further broaden the concept of Book Arts. I found this to be an excellent addition.
Choosing the work for this show was a difficult task and I want to compliment all of the artists for their creativity and many uses and combinations of materials. I believe those seeing the work in this show may find that their own definition of a book will be somewhat altered.
It was my pleasure to jury this show. Having graduated in art from Mary Washington College and also having been born and raised in Fredericksburg I am very aware of the value of the FCCA to the city and it's artists.