Urban, Suburban Rural
- 1st Place – “Old Middlesex, VA” oil by Marcia Chaves
of Fredericksburg, VA
- 2nd Place –“Autumn in the Old Neighborhood” lino cut print by Linda Larochelle of Fredericksburg, VA
- 3rd Place – “Pig Handlers” watercolor by Amanda Lee of Colonial Beach, VA
- “Above Rock Creek Park” etching/aquatint by David Brosch of University Park, MD
- “Fleeting” photograph by Rebecca Carpenter of Frederick, MD
- “Fredericksburg Historic Courthouse” pulp painting by Jennifer Galvin of Stafford, VA
- “Paul on the Subway” mixed media by Katharine K. Owens of Fredericksburg, VA
Juror's Statement—The variety of work entered in this national competition that interprets the theme "Urban, Suburban & Rural" for this May exhibition at Frederick Gallery was exceptional. It was challenging to select the 48 outstanding pieces out of 125 artworks submitted.
Some are humorous, a few are somber, several are colorful, and there is a good mix of abstract and representational. What unites all are the insightful compositions that transport the viewer into the heart of what is portrayed. I chose work that showed, not only mastery of technique but also, integrity and human spirit in the stories that each artist wishes to share about their environment. Indeed, the exhibition as a whole is a testament to the artists’ compassion, passion, creativity, and humanity.
Congratulations to the artists whose pieces are hanging in the historic Fredericksburg Center for the Creative Arts Frederick Gallery!