Juror: Carol Iglesias || Catalog || Flier
- First Place: Caution! Falmouth Snow, oil painting by Marcia Chaves, Falmouth, Va.
- Second Place: My Children, acrylic painting by Minja Gaines,
- Third Place: Still Life with Scottish Pitcher, oil painting by
Christine Dixon, Ashburn, Va.
- Roaming the Path of Unbelief, tapestry by Helga Hohn-Heiberg, Front Royal, Va.
- Puppet Master, sculpture by Pam Weldon, Bowling Green, Va.
- Golden Hour, mixed media painting by Barbara Taylor Hall, Fredericksburg, Va.
- Two Little Girls, digital art photograph by Dorian Hamilton, Stafford, Va.
- Dockside, watercolor painting by Elizabeth Shumate, Newport News, Va.
- Summer Morning, pastel painting by Kathleen Willingham, Bealeton, Va.
For this exhibit, I focused on selecting the pieces that caught my attention and had my eyes wanting to linger and explore the work deeper. Certain elements in the artwork left me wanting to enjoy the piece longer. There was a lot of uniqueness and individuality in the pieces submitted.
I tried to appreciate the many different styles that artists have. Sometimes it was tension, color, a sense of light or a primitive appeal. All evoked some kind of emotion.
At the same time, what comes into play is composition, execution, color, balance, values and contrasts. Artists are thinking about all of these variables, consciously or unconsciously, when they are creating their work. Those elements also flow thru to the
viewer. Composition is probably the most important element that draws me into to the art, followed by the execution and how well the artist worked with the medium.