Author Archives: fccagallery
The Fredericksburg Center for the Creative Arts (FCCA) continues its annual tradition of presenting “Seurat Sunday”, an all-day plein air painting and photography event, on September 18, 10 am to 4 pm, at Caledon State Park, 16617 Caledon Road, King George, VA, 22401. This year’s event provides opportunities throughout the park and artist demonstrations at the Visitor Center. FREE admission/parking is provided for participating artists, photographers, and volunteers. Transportation is provided to scenic areas along the trails, marshes and beaches. Artists are invited to spend the day at their preferred locations or move about the park seeking photo opportunities where they will find nature’s best vistas and views of eagles in flight.
After a day of capturing visual images, the participants will return to the Visitors Center for a display of their day’s work and light refreshments reception provided by the Friends of Caledon at 3 pm. Rain date is September 25th.
The Seurat Sunday event has long been a tradition in the region, dating back to the late 1970s. Started by the Fredericksburg Center for the Creative Arts in cooperation with Belmont and the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Seurat Sunday is named for the French Post-Impressionist painter, Georges Seurat (1859-1891), best known for his landscape painting, “A Sunday Afternoon on the Isle of La Grande Jatte” of the Art Institute of Chicago.
The FCCA is proud to partner with the Caledon State Park and the Friends of Caledon to offer this unique art event for artists and photographers. Registration is requested by Friday, September 16th. Phone 540-760-6928 and leave name, contact information and number in your party. Bring a bag lunch if desired.
For information contact Carrol Morgan at email@example.com or phone 540-760-6928.
PLEASE RSVP if attending by calling/texting Karen Julihn at 540-207-0814.
Spaces & Places
- 1st Place “Event on the James” acrylic painting by Susan Garnett, Culpeper, VA
- 2nd Place “Ebb and Flow II” acrylic by Barbara Taylor Hall, Fredericksburg, VA
- 3rd Place “My Back Yard” mixed media by Elizabeth Shumate, Newport News, VA
HONORABLE MENTION RECOGNITION
- “A Slice of 22” photo by Maria Behnke, Fredericksburg, VA
- “Monk’s Cell” mixed media collage by Teresa Blatt, North Hills, CA
- “Frozen Future” acrylic on panel by Kevin Whichello, Fredericksburg, VA
- “Blue Ridge” acrylic & cold wax painting by Bob Worthy, King George, VA
Join Allen Reamer for his Wednesday night lectures from 7-9 PM. Members are invited to attend free of charge at FCCA and non members may attend with a $10.00 cover charge.
Toulouse-Lautrec: His Life and Art
Date: Wednesday, September 7, 7:00 – 9:00 p.m.
The life of this famous Post-Impressionist artist was as unconventional as his art work. We will examine his life and his art in detail. We will see how his childhood affected his life as an adult and an artist. Some of his art work will be discussed in detail. We will cover as much of his life and art as time permits.
Vincent van Gogh
Date: Wednesday, September 14, 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.
Vincent van Gogh was a Post-Impressionist painter who had a turbulent life and whose paintings were appreciated after his death. We will discuss his life and art in detail. You will see how he expressed his life through his art. We will begin with his birth and continue until his death or until we run out of time.
Andrew and James Wyeth
Date: Wednesday, September 21, 7:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Andrew Wyeth and his son James are part of a remarkable family of artists. Their father and grandfather, N.C. Wyeth was a nationally known illustrator. N.C.’s art work transcended illustrations to become fine art. Andrew started learning to be an artist at a young age and became an instant success in New York. He remained true to his unique form of realism even when abstract work was popular. Jamie, as he is affectionately called, was brought up as his father was: immersed in painting. He showed remarkable talent and gained great recognition very early in life. In this lecture, we will look at the family background and life and art of Andy and Jamie Wythe.
Picasso: The Early Years
His Life, His Women, His Art
Date: Wednesday, September 28, 7:00 – 9:00 pm
Picasso is often viewed as producing ‘odd’ paintings that we may not like and think Picasso cannot draw or do better. We will look at his art and discover his early drawing skills. We will discover he painted in cycles and in different styles. We will also look at the eight leading women in his life and how they affected his painting. We will begin at his birth and continue until we run out of time.
- 1st Place “Something Blue” acrylic & ink by Rachel Bivans, Seaford, DE
- 2nd Place “Aloha” watercolor by Mary Peterman, Woodford, VA
- 3rd Place “African Princess” mixed media by Gifty Annan-Mensah, Fredericksburg, VA
- “Heavenly Lion” charcoal & color pencil by Kimberly Makonnen, Fredericksburg, VA
- “Winter Reflections” acrylic painting by Clifford J. Nolan, Bristow, VA
- “Injustice” pen & ink drawing by Rachel Nolan, Bristow, VA
- “Spirits Up” mixed media painting by Bev Ulrich, Louisa, VA
- 1st Place “Keep the Faith” linocut by Linda Larochelle, Fredericksburg, VA
- 2nd Place “Sudden Change” acrylic painting by Susan Garnett, Culpeper, VA
- 3rd Place “Alaskan Poppies” watercolor by Sally Rhone-Kubarek, Fredericksburg, VA
- “Slow Ice Cream Sales” photograph by Kate Brogdon, Stafford, VA
- “HF-4” photograph by Matthew DeZee, Spotsylvania, VA
- “Red Dog” mixed media by Passle Helminski, Erie, PA
- “We the People” mixed media by Katharine Owens, Fredericksburg, VA
Congratulations to our June Winners!
- 1st Place “Love Is in the Air” melted crayons/acrylics by Sara Gondwe, Charlottesville, VA
- 2nd Place “Ily and the Whale Kites” digital collage by Kate Brogdon, Stafford, VA
- 3rd Place “Seasons and More Time – Playlist Series” acrylic & ink by Rachel Bivans, Seaford, DE
HONORABLE MENTION RECOGNITION
- “Interruptions” mixed media on Yupo painting by Bev Bley, Fredericksburg, VA
- “Jack” oil painting by Jasper Drilling, Henrico, VA
- “Chatham Rust” mixed media collage by Caroline Nachem, Fredericksburg, VA
- “Hold on a Little Longer“ India ink drawing by Rebecca Visger, Manassas, VA
Faces & Figures
- 1st Place “Take Me to God” acrylic on canvas painting by Nick Candela, Ruther Glen, VA
- 2nd Place “Circuitous” photograph by Rebecca Carpenter, Morgantown, PA
- 3rd Place “She Awoke Haunted by the Dream” mixed media by Carolyn Beever, Stafford, VA
- “Early Spring at Motts” oil painting by Marcia Chaves, Falmouth, VA
- “Oppression” ink on clayboard drawing by Phyllis Graudszus, Unionville, VA
- “Girl on a Road” mixed media collage by Ellen Moore Osborne, Charlottesville, VA
- “Mother’s Love“ graphite drawing by Jake Sousa, Stafford, VA